Monday, April 23, 2007

The Devil is in the details

We have been using, or I should say struggling, with Trackit helpdesk and asset management software. I can not depend on accurate reports so it's time to find a new product.
As I looked at all the products on the market for this segment, I started thinking about the idea about minimizing the number of vendors that we use. We have standardized on (1) Dell for PC's, servers, laptops and PDA's (Well, they just killed thier PDA line.) and switches (2) Cisco for firewalls and VOIP and (3) Symantec for AV and SPAM protection. I want to maximize or leverage my relationaships with a limited set of vendors. This idea brought me to Altirls since they were just purchased by Symantec.
My service tech's are in the process of testing the demo version of the software to see if it fits for our network environment which is about 130 PC's, 16 servers, and 25 laptops and MAC's (more MAC's every month). I want a product that I can depend on and not have to "work" to get accurate information. I want the details...now.

1 comment:

David S. said...

Vendor consolidation is an interesting way to go. Seems like every time I find a vendor I like, another one comes along with something the other doesn't have. I am working on standardizing on laptops at least, mostly on desktops, and we already use one AV provider. It's something I'll have to keep in mind.

I did just review a new (to me) helpdesk solution, at http://infotech.lakeviewchurch.org/2007/05/25/helpspot-helpdesk-initial-impressions/ if you're interested. I've posted a few times along the same lines in the past, looking at different solutions. Still an ongoing process. We have fewer systems than you, but are starting to need a centralized helpdesk system beyond just email and lists in OneNote :-)